Monday, July 04, 2005

Brave New World

It seems that I’ve underrated Brave New World. I originally meant to read it on a dare and didn’t expect to enjoy it. However, I’ve been, thankfully, mistaken.

Nevertheless, I feel that my understanding of it is rather superficial. It has, after all, been hailed as one of the most startling, provocative and prescient novels ever written. Thus, I shall attempt to get Ming De to teach me how Literature students analyse books, how they spot the dominant motifs and themes, etc, and hope to be able to apply some of these skills in the inevitable second-reading.

I could simply read Sparknotes, and I may, but I would much rather learn to fish. Besides, to simply imbibe Sparknotes’ interpretation and pass it off as mine without further processing would be stupid, criminal even and yet so instinctive, results of years of conditioning.


There is only one correct answer, one correct interpretation. There are no grey areas, only Black or White, and sometimes not even two. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an enemy. Recognise them, hunt them down, and disparage them. Diaphanous they are, threat to society they are, Art students they are.


Random thoughts that didn't fit in anywhere else


I found Brave New World to be chillingly provocative, especially when juxtaposed against our consumerist world. It certainly has provide much food-for-thought, even if I’m still unable to recognise all the literary devices or unable to identify the growth of the characters. Yet, is that really important? What am I supposed to get out of a good book: an in-depth understanding of the plot and characters, or the message, be it a moral, ideological or warning, that the author wanted to bring across? Or are they hopelessly intertwined? So many questions, so few answers. Is this what I’m supposed to feel?

2 Comments:

Blogger fungiwungi said...

i liked Brave New World too. a gram is better than a damn! =)

10:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could I teach you how to analyse Harry Potter instead? =)

6:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home